Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Flash Diffuser


When you want to take pictures in a low light environment your camera's built in flash pops up and it provides more than enough light to take the photograph. And when you use the flash sometimes the results go terribly wrong!

Simply the flash brightens things too much and it adds lot of bright white areas in the photos spoiling the natural colors of them. There are other ways of avoiding flash and capturing more light; you can adjust the shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity, etc... but sometimes you can't reduce the shutter speed because you'll simply miss the shot. Since Shutter speed is high you have to put the aperture to the highest (e.g. f2.8) to capture more light as possible. And you won't be able to increase ISO too much because it could add noise to the image. So here is a trick I learnt; it's adding a "Flash Diffuser". You don't have to purchase one; you can just create one for you. Just see below article and see the results for yourself.
http://content.photojojo.com/diy/diy-film-container-flash-diffuser/

My camera has a built in flash and I wanted to try this trick on my camera. What was hard to find was the old white film container. No one uses old school cameras now; everyone is in the digital age. So I went to a studio and got some empty film containers for free. After coming home and checking my camera I realized that I need not to cut the film container but I can use it directly. Here is what I did; Just pop the flash and insert the flexible film container directly covering the flash and its mount. Cheap, very easy and works pretty well.

1 comment:

Jayaruwan said...

thanks for dropping by my blog. yeah I've came across this idea when I was looking for a way to diffuse the built in flasher. what I did was to use a tissue paper folded twice (or as much as you want) to diffuse the light. it works pretty well too. but you have to hold it. I found another great light tent idea. I replied to your comment, check it out.

Regards
Jayaruwan
http://jayaruwan.gunathilake.com/

P.S. - sorry it doesn't allow me to comment using OpenID since I'm using my own domain.